My Friends:

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Advanced Foam Rolling

While I am still skeptical as to the effectiveness of foam rolling and similar devices, I have made them a staple of my recovery protocol.  I figure that I have done plenty of research recommending it, belong long to two organizations that suggest it, and have found some results playing with it; that it must be something worthwhile.  When starting foam rolling, I suggest you read the literature and learn to do it properly.  At first, I think I over did some areas and used the foam roller too quickly.  The purpose is to move the roller about an inch per second and to stop for sore spots for at least thirty seconds.  Learning to do it properly has helped it become more effective for me but I think there are other tools that should be used to perform myofascial release.


-          PVC Pipe Roller: As I was able to grow stronger in my glutes, the foam roller had a smaller and smaller effect of helping out the real deep tissue.  My hamstrings had the same problem with the foam roller.  Needing a deeper massage, I tried out the PVC Pipe Roller at 24 Hour Fitness.  To my surprise it was pretty darn effective.  I used the pipe because it allows me to work out much deeper issues within the muscle and breakdown the fibers that the foam roller seems to miss.  To my surprise, purchasing a PVC pipe roller is actually less than half the cost (in most instances) than purchasing a foam roller itself.  My recommendation is to become very accustomed to the foam roller at the gym until you are experienced enough to need a deeper tissue massage.  This way you will only have to spend money on the roller for the larger muscle groups, which you should be massaging more often.  I bought mine for under $8 at Lowe's.

-          Tiger Tail: Despite thinking this is a total scam/gimmicky device, I do have to report that I have seen them on the sidelines of football games.  Because it is small and versatile, a physical therapist or trainer can pull it out of their bag and start using it to work craps out of the calves or tibialis anterior.  As for the other muscles...I don't find the size useful for getting deep tissue or working out large muscle cramps.  Perform Better usually sells these for $20 so I will not be making these a part of my arsenal.

-          Rolling Pin: A much more cost effective alternative to owning a Tiger Tail, I have found great utility with the rolling pin.  I once took the pin to the gym and this lady was astounded by the ingenuity I had to think of it.  I offered to help her try it out and she told me that it was a much more lady-like approach to anterior based muscle groups.  Since the adductor massage usually looks like this,:


I thought that the rolling pin would offer a much easier and visible approach to working on the quadriceps groups and adductor complex.  While I have not experimented too much with other muscles, I do find that it is much easier to control and still make you cringe in massage pain.


-          Oversized Tennis Ball:  For Christmas, I received an oversized tennis ball with the word House on it (obviously from the television show). Despite having some reluctance to using it for anything, it actually has found tons of purpose.  Aside from using it to teach myself to dribble left handed, it works great as a targeted massage technique.  This is helpful when trying to work on the pirifomis on the floor or the spinae erectors and pectorals against a wall.  Because of its larger surface area, I don't feel the pain associated with a smaller ball.  Also, the OTB allows me to inflate or deflate so that I can adjust how hard or soft I want the target area to be attacked.


-          Lacrosse Ball: Although I don't have much purpose for the lacrosse ball or even tennis balls for that matter, I feel obligated to inform you that many people have found plenty of success using these balls.  Because of their small size, you can really dig out deep muscle tissue in very specific areas.  This is especially important when the athlete is advanced enough in all the methods of myofascial release, and a muscle is preventing them from full range of motion or the massage work will allow for entire muscle contraction.  Some say it works miracles, but don't jump to this stage immediately.  Also, I find that using a wall to do some massage work is a very effective regression.

I hope all of you continue to make massage an important part of your exercise regimen.  The more you do to recover more fully each workout; the more prepared you will be to succeed in your fitness goals.




3 comments:

  1. People often think foam rollers are a super special, fancy type of foam, but in many cases, they're nothing but a larger, high-density version of a pool noodle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, ​​I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete