My Friends:

Friday, January 14, 2011

Lateral Speed Training

If you have ever played a football video game, I am sure that you are aware of the make a player feature.  Many of us who enjoyed these games growing up can account to making a player with their favorite team.  Often times I created action heroes such as Arnold Schwarzenegger at defensive end, Kobe Bryant at quarterback, and Ivan Drago at wide receiver.  You can often make the player have bulging muscles and manipulate their stats to be the most dominant athletes on the field.  One of the traits you can apply to the athlete is agility.  While agility is somewhat hard to define, as it often overlaps with what you can consider as acceleration, agility is best understood as the ability to move laterally and to stop and change speeds or direction quickly.  The phrase ‘to turn on a dime’ is often associated with agile athletes and the NFL combine measures it in the 20 and 60 yard dash events.  The 20 yard dash, also known as the pro agility test specifically tests three characteristics of an athlete’s agile movement: side stepping, crossover lateral running, and hip rotation to an anterior-posterior sprint.  Understanding the movements will help you score a lower time.  I was able to score a 4.09 in my senior year of high school, tying that of Marcus Vick’s combine score.  Because these three movements utilize the same muscles for the most part, the training regimen following should provide enough strength to move with agility. 
Lateral acceleration is characteristic in almost all sports, however it is often times the least trained. Developing lateral speed works with the same principles of forward speed; greater power output will result in greater speed.  A stronger athlete in the anterior posterior direction can display greater power output and greater speed than a weaker athlete given that all other factors are equal.  This is also true of an athlete strong in the lateral direction, or movements in the frontal plane.  By understanding the movements, we are able to develop muscles that will characterize good lateral speed.  When force is applied to move laterally, athletes are performing hip abduction: a movement characterized by the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, Sartorius and the Tensor Fasciae Latae as primary movers and the other muscles of the leg and abdomen as synergistic helpers, dynamic stabilizers, or antagonists (primarily the hip adductor muscles).  To develop these abductors, conventional machine and cable movements can be utilized, however, I have found the best exercises for the development of lateral speed are those that mimic the movement (law of specificity) and those that are most challenging (law of overload). 
To develop initial hip abductor strength, perform the following workouts:
·         Jane Fonda’s
·         Fire hydrants
·         Seated band abduction
·         Standing band/cable extension
More advanced athletes with established hip strength can now utilize these exercises:
·         Low Lateral band walks
·         Band lateral sprints
The abductors are not as large and powerful as those that extend and flex the hip and knee, however by working on the movements and gaining strength, lateral speed and subsequent agility will follow.  Progression, overload, and specificity are your friends.

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, ​​I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete