My Friends:

Friday, January 14, 2011

First Workout Book

All great trainers will be able to tell you the very first book they referenced when they began workout out.  For some, the ACSM/NSCA/ACE/NASM study guide was their first understanding and set-up to the modern world of exercise.  For others it was a professionally written book by a famous coach, doctor, athlete, competitor, or bodybuilder.  Who can forget Arnold Schwarzenegger’s “New Encylopedia for Modern Bodybuilding”, with the cover portraying Arnold’s solid shoulder and bicep musculature in black and white.  The reason for mentioning these books is that they often times precede particular philosophies when it comes to strength, fitness, and health.  A person reading Arnold Schwarzenegger’s book will have considerably different opinions compared to someone reading a book by Doctor Oz or Jillian Michaels.  Regardless of how you feel about the “correct” approach to achieving your fitness goals, remember that having an open mind to new ideas, modes of exercise and fitness, new strategies to progression, training frequency, and even sets and reps can help you determine the best way to accomplish your goals, when you want to achieve them. 
The very first book I can remember back to working with and reading through was Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl.  In the book, Mr. Pearl explains everything from exercise by sport, to nutrition, to posing techniques for bodybuilders, to supplementation.  After reading the book by about the 5th time, I noticed that Mr. Pearl mentioned he was a lacto-ovo vegetarian.  Lacto-ovo vegetarians consume nuts, eggs, and milk as their main sources of protein but do not consume meat products or fish.  It struck me as quite shocking that this seemingly huge man would be a vegetarian by any means.   While there are some benefits to a vegetarian diet, I am not advocating for the diet itself but rather that we consider that even a Mr. Olympia champion, someone who we associate with the highest levels of athletic achievements, is open to thinking in a unique and independent manner.   I admire Bill Pearl for his accomplishments and open thinking  throughout the book as it taught me that the greatest athlete isn’t one who follows a standard program to perfection, but instead is a free thinking individual that is willing to adapt, incorporate, learn, and progress.
Every great trainer has a book of exercise knowledge that they started with.  These books help for the basis to the knowledge that we have in the exercise community.  While traditional hard, blood sweat and tears programs can help you make progress and improve, opening your mind to the possibilities outside your comfort zone will allow you to select a more perfect program.  I invite everyone to challenge the conventional wisdom, to experiment, to learn and grow, as these are often times the best ways to find what will work best.  Please, learn the basics for experts like Bill Pearl or Arnold Schwarzenegger, but learn where they also fall short.  The best plan will be the one where you have the most knowledge about the outcome and results.  Medical journals, professional journals, experts, and books are a great place to start.

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, ​​I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete