My Friends:

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Swimmers are Overtrained

I will try to keep my ranting to a minimum; however this is something that I feel people should know.


Swimming is a technical sport.  Because of the nature of the sport, athletes must become very accustomed to the mechanics of the movements so that they truly become "fluid".  I find that the value of a base level of swimming practice comes in handy because without the practice of technique, we are just too inefficient to compete.  I feel however that coaches in swimming have taken this too far. 

There is no reason that swim sets and practices should be as long as they are.  I remember some days in high school where I swam triple days: three practices; two of which were in succession.  Not only was this overwhelming from a mental standpoint, I was chronically fatigued and could not recover.  As a larger swimmer, I felt as though my body needed more time to recover.

After swimmers have established perfect technique (which should be developed through low volume, high quality sets, such as swimming with underwater cameras), the focus should be on race preparation.  Too often, I feel that coaches make athletes do sets because they need to fill an allotted time and by beating the swimmers up, they practice fundamentals better.  I can promise you that my performance and technique disintegrated when performing long sets.  Since understanding swim sets is difficult to visualize from a outside observer perspective, I will show that the important variable is time.



Swim races range from 50 yards to 1650 yards.  Most all races consist of 50-100 yards, especially of one stroke.  For the men, 50-100 yards should not take more than one minute (any style).  Females are often close behind these numbers.  In a track analogy, this would be similar to running 200-400 meters.  A longer swim might be a 200 yard swim, which on a track compares to an 800.  Almost all the races take either ~30 seconds, ~ 1 minute, ~ 2 minutes.  In developing a protocol for runners how much would you assign them to run?  Would you make them do repeats?  Lets say you made them do 400 repeats for aerobic endurance.  And what is the most you might give them?  I would say that most track coaches would not go higher than 10x400 repeats, and that is being kind to the high volume coaches.  This would compare to 10x100yards, which for most swimmers occurs during the warm-up.  Many swim programs can range between 3,000-10,000 yards in a single practice.  Would you make a 400m dash sprinter run 40,000 yards (22.7 miles) in a practice?  I wouldn't.



The next thing to consider is the muscles involved.  While track and field runners utilize the strongest and largest muscles in the body (the legs); swimming is dominated by the upper body.  Kicking does not count as an effective means of propulsion because it often accounts for <30 percent of the propulsion.  Therefore, the smaller muscles of the upper body are forced to handle the workload.  Considering the size to workload ratio, swim practices are not designed for swimmers success.

In this article, I am proposing that we consider some alternative methods to approaching swimming.  Adding pull-ups is probably the most successful form of dry-land practice that swimmers can take part in because the angles mimic the butterfly and breaststroke pulls.

As for coaches; stop overtraining your athletes.  Make technique a priority and ensure that your swimmers work on quality rather than quantity.  The yardage does not make you swim faster.  The technique and race specific training will.

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, ​​I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete