My Friends:

Friday, January 14, 2011

Drop Sets

Recently, I have been using more and more hand pressure sets lately.  By hand pressure, I mean that I am physically applying force to increase or decrease the intensity of exercise to the RPE(rate of perceived exertion) I am seeking for any given set.  For example, on the Jane Fonda exercise of side lying straight leg lifts, I can apply pressure and force the glute medius and glute minimis into agony.  By being able to progressively control the intensity of the exercise I can have people target the appropriate muscles and muscle firing patterns before increasing the intensity, all within the same set.
I called this article drop sets because drop sets because I would like to mention them as very effective and useful for everyone, from seasoned athletes looking for something new to beginners.  Drop sets involve lifting a particular amount of weight for a designated number of repetitions before the weight is minimized and continued with little to no rest between weight drops.  Just as with the hand pressure I am able to apply the amount of force appropriate, but in this case I am able to maximize the intensity while maintaining a particular repetition range.  Athletes that belong to middle distance or endurance events can benefit from these exercises because they remain challenging for extended time yet provide a strength component. 
While most article talking about drop sets say that usually 1-3 weight drops occur during the set, I have worked with as many as 10 weight drops for sets lasting upwards of 100 repetitions.  Let’s not forget that with strength training, race tempo is difficult to simulate but intensity can be gauged through the weight, RPE, and extended over a similar time period.  By this I mean that we might not able to move the legs as quick as running when performing squats or pull downs as fast as swimming strokes but that the time of the race should be comparable in length to our drop set.  For example, an 800 m dash is run in about 2:00 for men so a drop set for the legs lasting as long could be considered beneficial even though the legs move at different speeds (running vs. weight lifting with legs).   As a swimmer in high school, I used cable lat row drop sets to maximize my intensity through up to 8 drops for 60-80 repetitions total.  An eight drop set would often times simulate a 200 yard swim or 8 laps in the pool where each lap consisted of 8-10 breaststroke pulls (64-80 strokes).
Drop sets are especially versatile for clients that need to increase their repetitions to increase their activity.  Overweight and obese clients can benefit from drop sets because the endurance component increases calorie burn while still providing the strength training to build muscle and lose fat.
Since most athletes are involved in activity over a period of time often longer than traditional weight lifting sets, drop sets can be useful to prolong the RPE and for sets longs

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, ​​I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete