My Friends:

Monday, January 10, 2011

First Blog: Nowhere man

Hello Everyone!  I am so happy to be around and I would love to share the experiences of my life with all of you.  Hopefully you will some of the information that I blog useful however I understand that most of all of the things that I talk about are completely useless, meaningless, pointless, and worthless.  I am hoping that the things that I write down will help better be able to explore my own self and that if someone cares to read it and understand me better than there is purpose to it.  I would like to begin by saying that I love being around.  I am just so happy to be alive and to be able to live.  I have been endowed with incredible opportunities and it would be wasteful not to make myself someone of worth.  Because I have travelled down a long road of really sad, lonely depression filled days and nights;  I want nothing more than to find my purpose in others.  I am making a commitment to myself to live through others.  I have reached this conclusion through a great deal of thought, but I believe that it all starts with my anthem.  The song that describes me best is Nowhere Man by The Beatles.  Please enjoy listening to it but think about the happiness in the melody and how it is contrasted by something so void (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfWEPu0w-7w).  Here are the lyrics:

He's a real nowhere man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man please listen,
You don't know what you're missing,
Nowhere Man,the world is at your command!

(lead guitar)

He's as blind as he can be,
Just sees what he wants to see,
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

Nowhere Man, don't worry,
Take your time, don't hurry,
Leave it all till somebody else
lends you a hand!

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man please listen,
you don't know what you're missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command!

He's a real Nowhere Man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody!


I would like to break down how I hear the words of the song so that I may better explain how these make me complete:

He's a real nowhere man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.


These lyrics reflect the emptiness I have been feeling in my life for years.  Having been rejected by colleges, jobs, coaches, friends, girls, etc. etc. I feel as though I have lost meaning to people.  When we are younger, we feel purpose because we feel invincible.  The sky is not even the limit when we are young and innocent.  But as people began telling me that I had limits, I became frustrated.  Rather than feeling angry towards others, I would internalize it using it to make myself a better, more capable person.  Only when I continued to be rejected did I realize that I will never change the world around me. 

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?


I have always been a great debater.  I am not particular to any cause so I take no position when it comes to debate.  I could argue the merits of the worst dictators in the world, or for the destruction of natural resources, or for the atrocities of the world to continue.  Because I understand how to make a compelling argument, I feel as though I belong to the school of thought of reason.  When thinking about reason however I lose all purpose in my life.  The reason to be alive is.... There is no reason to reason.  Therefore I am not reasonable and I lack purpose.  Creating purpose for me is through others.  I do not know where I am going.  I feel no purpose and therefore I am the Nowhere man.  I don't take a stand because I am reasonable, however as a reasonable person I lack purpose.  This is the conundrum of my life and I will struggle with this for my life.

Nowhere Man please listen,
You don't know what you're missing,
Nowhere Man,the world is at your command!

I have always had a misunderstand as what the goal of life is.  So many people, especially those of my age see that travelling the world is one of the most fulfilling experiences in their lives.  Having been to Europe twice, and seeing the world through the world of books and images, I really have no desire to travel.  I enjoy a clean well kept environment and that is best under my control just being at home.  Going to parties doesn't excite me because I don't like feeling uncomfortable.  I have learned more than most yet I don't feel a desire to see how the methodology applies.  I also know that I more than anyone am able to take command of my world and of the world.  I have used every setback in my life to make myself better.  I consider myself polymathic because I use the pareto principle to become knowledgeable of a number of fields. 

He's as blind as he can be,
Just sees what he wants to see,
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?


As I grow more intelligent, I realize I know even less than before.  I think this is a problem a lot of people face because as many people don't take time to question what they know, they don't see their inability to see.  The more I am able to see the world with a new lens, the more I realize that I am more blind than anyone and the more I am wrong.  I can't see the world.  I don't understand everyone or anything and to say otherwise is precarious.

Nowhere Man, don't worry,
Take your time, don't hurry,
Leave it all till somebody else
lends you a hand!

This is the most joyous lyric of the song.  I have been searching for purpose in life.  I believe that I have found it to some extent.  I owe my purpose statement in some credit to Tim Ferriss, however I had to take a arduous journey to come to the conclusion myself.  In the Four Hour Workweek, he states his purpose as to Love, to be Loved, and to never stop learning.  I have made my purpose similar.  My purpose is to satisfy the needs of my body (hunger, thirst, breath, warmth), to give of myself to others completely, to accept all love that flows within me and without me, to grow towards perfection as understood by all mankind, and to ease the suffering of anyone. 

Now that I have come to these conclusions I would like to ask all of you to consider your purpose.  Look down the paths of your life.  Come to conclusions before they are decided for you.  Living for others makes me complete but I know that many people will not find that to be their purpose.  Some will find the same purpose that I found: no purpose.  Creating virtual purpose is the route I took because it allows me to be around.  Happiness is all in your mind.  Love is only existent with others.  Think for Yourself was the song that follows Nowhere Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment