My Friends:

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Intensity at the Gym

I am currently at a once/twice a week protocol when it comes to working out.  Since eighty percent of the results come as a result of exercise, I think that it’s important that I make each gym session count.  I am just now coming to realize that the remaining twenty belongs to dieting (something that requires eighty percent or more of my effort over the course of a week).  When I go into the gym, I am looking to hit singles for very high intensities (85-95% 1-rep max), followed by 5-8 minutes rest.  When I get going, the ants in my pants make me want to hit the weight after only two minutes and I have to tell myself to be patient (my most valuable virtue). 

Anyways, in the time that my blood is boiling, I can do a lot of sightseeing at the gym.  I get to see the bodybuilders hitting their arms for 8-20 reps.  I see the trainers making clients work in the 30 rep range.  And in the cardio section, there are people repping (in the form of stepping or walking or running or pedaling or whatever-ing) while being distracted.  I look forward to my one leg workout a week because there are many days where I put myself in a state to just get this one workout.  I usually perform less than 10 actual lifts total; usually on 2-3 exercises.  The workout from warm-up to cool down lasts approx. 2 hours.  Its a lot of waiting and patience however I am living for these power movements.  This got me thinking about life....

In the mode of a person on the treadmill or stepper, I feel as though they are distracted from their true goal.  Instead of trying to improve performance, increase their aerobic capacity, or work on their core stability and posture.  By watching TV or other people they are distracted from themselves.  Only when they step off after an allotted time do they gain any awareness of their body, and by then it is too late.  Each step they take is meaningless individually.  No improvement is being made step by step.  Overall, most people in this category are sloppy and unsuccessful with their goals.  They are often unable to make any substantial change to themselves.  I think of this like the daily grind.  People living paycheck to paycheck.  They are in pain.  They live in agony and only find bits of enjoyment in distracting themselves from reality.  It is painful to be this person and I sympathize for them.

The next group is the bodybuilders.  They make a habit of showing up to the gym every day, usually around the same time and follow a protocol they have developed.  These are people who have taken action in their lives to demand change.  While many bodybuilders succeed, we often see that most fail.  The human body is not capable of sustaining the mass that many bodybuilder's hold.  All gains of these bodybuilders eventually fade and progress must be started all over.  These individuals reflect those who chase their dreams, however do so with a flawed strategy.  The mass they add to themselves represents things or temporary means of happiness.  While they represent a more pure strategy, they must remember to allow themselves to be wrong, and make corrections.  Better but not best.

The last group is what I am trying to capture.  This group remembers that muscle and strength are built outside of the gym; in the kitchen or in your bed.  This group seeks to make everyday a treat: massage and hot/cold therapy make them successful and unstressed.  This group applies minimum time towards to practice and maximizes their improvement.  This group remembers what the purpose of everything they are doing, when they are doing it.  This group knows the secret to getting better is consistency.  This group is in tune with their body and knows how to be patient.  This group knows how to maximize their potential.  This group knows how to substitute a small amount of the now for a large piece of the later.  This group is an expert at everything relevant and does not exceed the minimum effective dose.  These people work every day so that someday, in a calculated and scheduled manner, they achieve lasting success.  They know what it takes to get there.  They never lose sight of the goal and only through PATIENCE do they make significant strides.

Hopefully there is something to be gained from this observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment